Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Here we go, impossible again...

Now, my love of hating Eurovision is something which many people are surprised by. It is assumed that as a card-carrying gay man - and one with a fervent love of pop music - I must adore it, but I don't.

It's like drinking gin. Somehow it's one of those aspects of being a gay that doesn't appeal.

Generally the songs don't move me because I find them just a little bit too trite (classics such as Gina G, ABBA and Bucks Fizz aside). And I refuse to sit through the tedium of the performances and scoring just to hear the genius that is Terry Wogan being rightly disdainful of the whole misplaced purpose of the thing.

I think I also bridle at the assumption that "you're gay, you like pop, therefore you must like this or be a bad gay".

Well... if so I'm a bad gay. No biscuit. (You can hit me on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper if it would make you any happier).

I do, however, have a vague interest on a national pride level of how well we do. And I'd quite like us as a country to do something un-self-consciously poppy, bright, breezy and produced in a way which doesn't suggest a quick sequencing job in the back of a mini on the way to the studio.

So people... who's in the running this year then?

Ah. It's that oddball who used to be in the Darkness, some thug who used to be in East 17, some bint who used to be in Atomic Kitten and... hang on a second... bloody Scooch!

Now, as someone with a lot of fondness for Scooch (they had some great singles and their cover of the Littlest Hobo theme is amazing) a part of me is really glad to see them back.

But from the tiny clip available on the "Making Your Mind Up" site I can only assume that the studio was in the middle of nowhere and the mini had a fair bit of off-road to do to get there.

Still, I suppose there's no danger we'll bankrupt the UK by hosting the contest next year...

No comments: